Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Yanaka

Today, I'm heading to the Tennoji Temple. This is where my final tour of Japan starts. I can't believe it's already been six days since I first arrived here! That means my trip ends soon. It's going to be hard to leave this place. I've had such a great time. But I can't think about that yet. I have a whole new tour ahead of me! I arrive and I am immediately disheartened. It's Monday. Most of the stores are closed. Oh well, at least I can still tour the temples, right? The first temple I tour is the Tennoji Temple, like I said before. It's almost five hundred years old. According to the guide, it used to be ten times bigger than it is now. Woah, apparently this temple is one that was destroyed during the battle mentioned before at Ueno Hill. Wow. I can't believe something like this was destroyed. It seems so peaceful now though. All you can hear is chirping birds and chanting monks. We're not allowed to talk in here. Here's a clip to give an idea of the tranquility. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NFHH1zne4E

Nearby, there is a small bronze statue of Jizo, the guardian of children's spirits, and a small stone statue of Kannon, the goddess of mercy. This place provokes melancholy within me. Thoughtful sadness. It is full of devistation and beauty. I think I'm going to meditate here for a couple hours. This seems to be the perfect place.

No comments:

Post a Comment