Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Last Day

This is my last real day here in Japan. As sad as I am about leaving, I'm ready to go home. Talking to my mom last night made me miss home that much more. I miss my family and friends. I can't wait to see them again and tell them all about my experiences here. But I can't waste today away. I must find something to do! I know, I'm going to go see the Great Buddha statue, and then go out to eat at this restaurant I heard about that's nearby. The Great Buddha is in Kamakura, a southern town in Tokyo. This Buddha is one of two giant Buddha statues, the other resides in a temple in Nara. I prefer the one in Kamakura, however, because of the dramatic nature surrounding it. After taking the train, I walk up to the Buddha and my breath is immediately swept away.

In the literal sense, it is awesome. I am awe-stricken. I am simply in awe. The Buddha statue is HUGE! It is also nothing like I have ever seen before. The woods behind it seem magical. The cherry blossoms surrounding the front entrance keep the atmosphere tranquil. I wish there was something this magnificent back in the states. Mt Rushmore doesn't even come close. Uh oh. My tummy is starting to growl. I guess it's time to leave here and seek out that restaurant. I don't think it's far, I was told it's on the outskirts of the city. The restaurant is called Raitei. After a 2o minute search, I finally find my destination. Just in time, too. It's getting dark and my tummy is so hungry by now. Raitei is a cute little place, full of tradition and authenticity. Here, I'm in the mood for Kaiseki, the traditional multi-course dinner. It includes an appetizer, sashimi, a simmered dish, a grilled dish and a steamed course. It is all so delicious. I could eat this kind of food all day. All of the different kinds of rice and fish are so flavorful. I wish my stomach was big enough to fit it all. But sadly, it is not. I finish all that I can and pay the bill. It is time to go back to my hotel and sleep while I let my food digest.

No comments:

Post a Comment